Tuesday, August 2, 2016

A 'Star Wars' Virgin: The Challenge


Up until this point in my life I have never sat down to watch the Star Wars movies. Not really. I remember the originals being re-released somewhere around the time I was in middle school, and I went to see one of them at the movies (but it was really just to go to the movies) and I sat and gossiped with my friends for 2 hours. So I can't say that I really knew the story but I am a big enough pop culture nerd to know the main characters and the references of "the force", "Luke, I am your father", Princess Leia in the bikini, and Yoda...all that jazz.

My husband, though, he loves these movies, so when The Force Awakens came out last year he convinced me that I didn't need to watch the other movies to get into it. He was right! It was a great movie, and I think I knew enough to follow along. If I'm being honest, it sweetened the deal for me knowing that Adam Driver was going to be in the movie. Because I love him. I knew he was going to be a bad guy but I didn't know he was going to be THE bad guy. I felt like I needed to state that for my friends who may read this and call me out on it. :)

After we went and saw the new movie, my husband started bugging me to watch the originals. I held strong for awhile there until I saw a random article online written by some super fan who was trying to guess the origins of Rey. "Origins of Rey?" I thought..."What do you meeeaaannnn?". I had no idea how interconnected everyone was (besides knowing Vader is Luke's father...spoiler alert) and kind of completely missed the weight of seeing Luke at the end of The Force Awakens.

And just like that, I gave in and loaded our Netflix queue with the Star Wars series, determined to figure out my own theory of Rey's origins! I've decided to drag you all on the journey with me. I'll be watching the movies in their three part series and then doing a round up of my thoughts and many many questions.

Let me just state right now that I am in no way hatin' on the Star Wars movies. I do not intend to personally offend anyone if there are comments I make that you may not agree with. I fangirl with the best of them when it comes to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter so I do not judge superfans! These are just my opinions from an outsider looking in, so to speak.

I've been told that I must watch them as Lucas intended starting with Star Wars IV: A New Hope and so forth and then watching the prequels. I have already started the first batch of movies and I'm almost finished with Return of the Jedi. I'll do my wrap up after I've finished it but I just wanted to introduce you to my naivety going into this challenge.

Here is what I knew/thought I knew going into this:

  • Vader is Luke's Father
  • Princess Leia is the damsel in distress that Luke and Han Solo will fight over
  • Luke is the badass army-type-guy
  • Vader = bad
  • There's a round robot that beeps and people know what he's saying. But only a select few, like me with my dog. 
  • Its lightSABER not lifeSAVER
  • Han Solo is the leader of the good guys! He saves the princess and Luke wants to be like him!
  • There are soldiers in white
  • There will be epic lightSABER fights
I hope you follow along with me while I watch these movies but please don't ruin anything for me! Like I said, I think I know enough but not everything. I'm excited, I love a good series.

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment