Tuesday, August 30, 2016

A Star Wars Rookie: My Theory Revealed!


Okay, I'm all caught up. I'm officially not a Star Wars virgin anymore. Do I look any different? Perhaps, older and more mature? I feel a bit wiser as I've expanded my pop culture knowledge and no longer have to pretend that I understand references.

I just finished re-watching The Force Awakens and I've come up with my theory of who Rey is and what her connect is with the force. If you'll remember from a couple weeks ago when I declared this a challenge accepted, my hope was to find out all I know about these movies and chime in with my theory of her origins.

Before we get into that I need to say how much I like this movie. Now, I saw it when it first came out, and while my husband promised me that I didn't need to know the other movies to get into this one, it was so great to have the insider knowledge! This has to be my second favorite of all the movies I watched (#1 has to be Return of the Jedi). It's just done so well. This movie some how manages to be self aware of itself as an anticipated Star Wars movie. Example, Finn and Rey are in the same boat as me when they realize they're on the Millennium Falcon and hey wait, they're talking to Han Solo, and Luke Skywalker they thought was a myth. I almost expected one of them to say "Wait, Am I in a Star Wars movie?" Unlike the prequel trilogy JJ Abrams and co. realize that they are not only making a new Star Wars movie for the die hard fans who grew up with the originals, but also to a new group of people who are experiencing these stories for the first time.

This movie also knows how to do the "comedic relief" very well. After having just watched the prequel trilogy and thinking I would be scarred for life from Jar Jar Binks, this was much appreciated.
Finn offered some funny lines "we'll just use the force!" and of course Chewie and Han Solo are always funny... "did you just call me Solo?" And you know I love a kick ass heroine and the originals delivered Princess Leia so of course I love Rey, too.

That brings us to Rey, who is she? Drumroll please...

Rey is Han Solo & Leia's Daughter!

Okay, okay, hear me out! There really is a lot of hidden evidence to support this. When you know what you're looking for you can find it. 
  • She grew up right near the Millennium Falcon, which has been in a junkyard for years but she almost instinctively knows how to fly it even though its suppose to be a heap of junk.
  • When Rey meets Chewie and Han Solo on board, they almost fall right into this sort of Father-Daughter team of being in charge of the Falcon...even saying things at the exact same time. 
  • Han gives Rey a sad look when she says she "didn't know so much green existed in the universe". At this point, she never mentioned where she comes from or her story. You would think if they were perfect strangers that he would give her more of a puzzled look. He definitely already knows about her being stranded on Jakku for many years. 
  • Kylo Ren has a pretty strong reaction when he finds out about "a girl from Jakku". We seem him lose his cool a couple of times when people mention Rey as if he already knows who she is..because why would a total stranger have such an effect on him? And we have all seen how Kylo Ren reacts to his family. 
  • During Kylo Ren's interrogation of Rey he mentions that she feels "Han Solo is the father she never had". Why would she really have those feelings about him unless she feels a deeper connection? I think this was a big hint that is impossible to miss. 
  • Leia gives Rey a pretty strong hug when she returns...maybe she's just being sentimental because she knows Han Solo died (spoiler alert) but for just meeting Rey for the first time, its a pretty long hug. I think there's a connection there. 
  • When Kylo Ren reads Rey's thoughts he said she dreams of an ocean and a green island, or something like that. Which we find out at the end of the movie that is it the location of the Jedi temple where Luke is hidden. 
  • Why would Leia just send Rey off to find Luke on her own at the end of the movie? You would think that Leia would be like "I'm going to get my brother not sending some strange girl." There's a connection there, which I'm aware is good support evidence for the popular theory of Rey being Luke's daughter. 
via GIPHY

My husband thinks that Rey is just Han Solo's daughter and not Leia's...but I had to debunk this because she has the force and Luke's lightSABER called to her. She must be connected to the Skywalker family. What I'm thinking is, that Rey is Han & Leia's daughter but was a former padawan of her Uncle Luke at his school. When Kylo Ren came back and destroyed the Jedi school and the padawans, I think Rey survived. Then, Leia and Han decided to put their child on Jakku for her own safety and wipe her memory of the event since it was so tragic. This would sort of be a similar situation that Luke was in when we first met him in A New Hope, except he was a baby. The story line connections are just so similar and I know that is happening on purpose. I predict that maybe Rey is going to be integral in turning Kylo Ren back to the light since Leia hints she feels "there is still light in him". I think that a brother and sister dynamic would have a bigger impact on this rather than a first cousin (if she were Luke's daughter).

So there you have it, my theory of Rey's origins. Like I said before, I really liked this movie. I think it was great in keeping the original generation of Star Wars characters and story lines while also getting us excited for a new generation of characters to see what happens with Rey, Finn, Poe, and even BB8. I'm so excited to watch the next couple of movies and see what we find out!

I know you can't call no spoilers on movies that are over 20 years old, but, thanks for going on this journey with me and for all the people who chimed in with their comments (mainly my husband and brother in law) without any spoilers. It's been fun and if any of you get into Harry Potter and have questions just holla at me, I owe you some answers.

Look, mom, I'm a Star Wars fan!
xoxo.



No comments:

Post a Comment