Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Southern Charm Real vs Fake "Words of Wisdom"


Whether you noticed or not, I took a break from a recap last week. I felt like I needed to recharge my Southern Charm batteries and see the show for what it is...a reality show. I started to feel myself getting waaayyy too invested, upset, and defensive by not only what happened on the show but what people say on Twitter. I'm a fan of this show and having watched it for a couple of years I definitely have my favorites and not so favorites. But I see a glimpse of them every Monday for like 3 months of the year so I can't pretend I know anything about them as a person, and I just need to let that go.

I wish other people would as well. Twitter is like an angry mob for reality shows and people take it way too seriously. With all the hate going in this world, seeing tweets like that really upset me that we can be so careless with our words but I can only focus on what I say.

Okay, so that's my PSA for the day...let's get to the show. And boy did they give us a show. Was this episode not ridiculous? I'm here to break down the real vs fake in this episode for ya...so let's get to it!

Real Moments

  • Landon has a conversation with her sister, Bam, about the website creation and her confession of love for Shep. She always seems like she's on the brink of tears when she talks about her sisters and her divorce. She's the oldest and confesses that she feels like she's playing catch up to her younger siblings with families and careers. I hear ya, that's got to be a difficult adjustment for her. She got married right out of college was married for something like 7 years and gets divorced which is looked down upon in her family. So now shes back to trying to figure out what she wants to do with her life, like most people go through in their early 20s but she's in her 30s. I do feel for her. 
  • Craig admitting that all babies look the same. I feel like every guy says this about newborns. 
  • Shep meets Cam for lunch and summarizes Landon's confession of love for him. Cameran doesn't even blink an eye at this news, she's like 'no shit'. She eats her french fries and lets him talk in circles about how it could or could not work. 
  • He then has lunch with his adorable mom and talks about his future and settling down. He feels a little left behind because his siblings are settled and raising families. Sound familiar? Looks like Shep and Landon are on the same thought process with families. He tells her about Landon but confesses that it doesn't work when you are friends with someone and then try and date them. He says its missing a spark. His mom and I both disagree on this sentiment. However, Mama Shep just wants him to be happy. 
  • On to the dinner party and Kathryn Calhoun Dennis says she'll take a bourbon instead of champagne. Shit, she ain't pregnant anymore..give the girl a real drink. 
  • Did I mention I love Cooper? When the rest of the group starts to arrive he tells Kathryn Calhoun Dennis that she should just greet Landon. He's trying to encourage her to be the bigger person. My favorite line is "I'm not trying to make it a bigger issue, boo boo, but I'm just saying." Hilarious. But he's right, its a dumb argument. I don't even know why she hates Landon anyways. Because she wasn't invited to the roller disco party? Because she posted a picture of her and TRav together in London? Whatever.
  • Also points for Cooper, he is literally the only man in the room that tries to diffuse the situation. From the very beginning of Trav's tirade he's trying to get him to shut his pie hole. Then even does so much as to pull him back inside when he chases his guests out to Landon's golf cart for an escape. Phew. More points for Cooper in my book. Craig sort of intervenes with a good point about TRav stirring up old issues between Landon and Kathryn when they were being cordial with each other. 
  • JD shields his wife when things start to get heated between the group. Dawwww! Could they be any cuter??
  • Shep literally laughing in TRav's face when he gets in his face. So amazing. 

Fake Moments

  • TRav goes over to Kathryn Calhoun Dennis's house under the guise of seeing her new place and the nurseries but instead they left "night time nanny" to usher the babies out of the room so they can discuss the guest list for his upcoming dinner party to celebrate the birth of their baby? Huh? Just have a dinner party, why do you have to pretend its for your kids? Anyways, they get in a huge fight over the guest list and inviting Landon. Kathryn actually says "You know me, I get along with everyone." You do? This is the scene where we see TRav jump out of a window to get away from the fight with KCD...I just wish it wasn't on the first floor. 
  • KCD gets a phone call from Jennifer Snowden and she acts like she can't stand the girl now. This was a really weird moment. Just because Trav doesn't like Snowden she all of the sudden just cuts ties with her. Kathryn come ooonnn. You've got to start thinking for yourself, here. I was a little disappointed in Cooper for being bratty in this moment but he said last night that he has since apologized to Snowden about the whole thing so all is well in my Cooper book. 
  • Landon sits down with Patricia about the whole Shep situation. Ugh, can we not? This felt so forced and Patricia used some weird analogies as if Landon is the homely girl that no one could possible be attracted to. Even for a reality show, Patricia is over the top. She also tells Landon that if Shep isn't the one, maybe she should set her sights on TRav. In what world is he a good catch? I'm just being honest here. 
  • The whole dinner party. I don't think the cast's reaction to TRav was fake but I think this was set up in some way. I mean, its not even a conversation that gets out of hand. TRav legit just starts out by complimenting Kathryn but then ripping everyone else apart. All of his comments come with insults right afterwards. And when Shep laughs at him for being ridiculous he really flys off the handle. He was either drunkety drunk or just completely playing it up for the show. I can't tell but Cameran says in the previews for next episode that she thinks they were set up and I have to agree. 

The episode ends with Landon, Cameran, Shep, Craig, and Naomi all piling into Landon's golf cart so they can get the hell outta there. What an episode. I think next week is the season finale and I'm kind of excited about that. I'm so ready to see the reunions and where everything stands and what people have to say for themselves. I'm also kind of ready for a little break with this show. There was a lot that went down. 

My final thoughts are we didn't see nearly enough Danni in this episode. She was around but we barely heard anything from her. She always imparts some sort of reality check for everyone but I think she was just trying to stay out of the way. I also have to say that I really like Jennifer Snowden now. I wasn't too sure about her at first and I have to say she doesn't get painted in the best light. But I've been seeing Bravo's website share some moments from the show that didn't air and it makes me like her a whole lot more. Editing can be such a bitch, can't it?

Til next time, folks!
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment