Monday, April 18, 2016

Real Housewives of Potomac Recap


Did you watch the Real Housewives of Potomac? What did you think? A lot of people didn't like it but I did! I think I was just ready for some new people, once you get into 8 seasons of some of these shows they tend to keep harping on the same old drama. I can't deny the fact that I was excited to see another cast of black women AND FINALLY some biracial women. Another bonus for me was the fact that they are in Maryland which is just a hop skip and a jump from Pennsylvania where I am. Ladies, we're neighbors! Let's get a drink sometime, I'll meet you at Bethany Beach!

Since we wrapped up the reunions last night, here are my final thoughts of this debut season.

Ratings of the Ladies

Gizelle Bryant - B
I really liked Gizelle. She's beautiful and obviously educated and has a great relationship with her girls. I thought she was a bit over the top at times (hello, freak out about sleeping in a single bed when she's a guest at Ashley's beach house) but overall she was fun to watch and I always wanted to hear what she had to say.

Ashley Darby - A
I. Love. Ashley! Besides being adorable in personality and in looks, she was not afraid of these women when they tried to correct her like a child. She stood her ground and spoke her mind even if they weren't hearing it. I love her relationship with her husband and her mother.

Robyn Dixon - A
I loved her! I thought she was actually really genuine! She seems like someone I would really be friends with in real life. She was never too stuck up about anything, just laughed when she had to sleep in a twin bed at Ashley's beach house and just kind of went with the flow. But she always stood up for herself when she needed to. I really loved her unique relationship with her ex-husband, it was odd but it was definitely real.

Karen Huger -D
She calls herself the "Grande Dame of Potomac" and her husband "The Black Bill Gates"...enough said.

Charrisse Jackson Jordan - C+
I didn't mind her. I think she was actually going through a lot personally when she filmed the season so I'll let her slide on being reserved and kind of boring. But she lost points when she used the word "ghetto" so callously (I HATE that word as an adjective) and yeah, she was just kind of... there.

Katie Rost - D
She lost me pretty much right away in the season. She would harp on everything and I don't know if shes like this in real life or if she just wanted it to be her storyline or something. But between the endless talking about getting engaged, being a "ball and gala" girl, and her tiff with Gizelle and Robyn about them being biracial (theyre not) she was just too much and not in a fun way. Quote: "You don't end up looking like this if you're straight out of Africa". Girl, shut up.

What I liked: 
  • These ladies are all strong women and there was no shortage of brain cells or opinions with this group. 
  • Fresh drama, like I said, I always get tired of the same old rehash of drama from previous seasons, so it was nice to have new personalities to play off of each other and to annoy each other too. 
  • Ashley Darby rockin' a natural curly girl 'fro. Get it, girl.
  • Real moments between women who care about each other, like when Charrisse was sharing her current status and relationship with her husband and Robin was speaking about her financial issues. I really could feel like they all cared about each other. 
  • Gizelle's one liners "Typically hoes do that" "Wherever I sit is the baddest place in the building"
What I didn't like:
  • The constant talk about etiquette. Omg, shut UP. This is something I hated with the one and only season of Real Housewives of DC. Is this is DC area thing? I've never heard people talk about where you should sit and when you should speak in my life. Its overkill. 
  • Karen referring to her husband as "The Black Bill Gates" over and over. Stop trying to make "fetch" happen, its not going to happen. 
  • The constant talk about race. Why does this always become a topic on these shows with black women (hello, Atlanta)? It really doesn't make any sense to me. Talkin' about, "what are you?" and "what box are your girls going to check" "you look this" and "you don't look that". Its like, shut up. They all said at various times that there is a small group of black people in Potomac, so why are they throwing race around at each other? When I'm sure race has been thrown their way a couple hundred times in their lives. It just drives me nuts. 
  • Using phrases like "THOT" as if we're in our 20s. It just sounds stupid and like you're trying too hard. 
  • The fact that only two of the women are actually wives...(3 if you count Charrisse, which I don't because she refuses to file for divorce for some reason)

Overall, I really liked this season. I liked getting to know a whole new cast and some fresh new drama and in a different location. This cast just got picked up for a season 2 so I guess the DC area curse is gone!

Have you started watching Dallas yet? I haven't, I'll probably binge it at some point.

XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Great re-cap! I agree with you on almost every point you made, especially about the ladies individually. As for etiquette being a DC thing, as a 40+ native Washingtonian (born and raised), it definitely not LOL. They drove me crazy with that! Even with Charisse grasping for a story line and Katie's delusions, I will be tuning in for season 2. I really hope Robyn and Ashley get along better season 2 because are are by far the more likable with Gizelle running a close second. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the recap, and thanks for shedding light on the etiquette issue. It sounded like a weird thing for Washingtonians to be obsessed with! I'm looking forward to the second season as well! :)

    ReplyDelete