Friday, April 22, 2016

"What I Read" for April 2016


My husband and I love to read. We both feel antsy when we don't have a good book that we're into. Almost like not knowing what to do with your hands. We started chatting at the end of last year about how many books we think we read a year, and we weren't sure. So at the beginning of this year, we both started to keep a tally and I've read 12 so far this year, which isn't bad!

April was a tough month for me, though, with books. There was one book that I've been dying to read for years, another was a book club pick, and the other was a random book sale find that ended up being SO boring (I couldn't wait for it to end). For the past couple of months, I feel like I was on a steady stream of books that sucked me in right away. I'm not sure if its the weather change and wanting to be outside more or what, but I hope it comes back! There's no better feeling than not being able to put down a good book.

So here are the books I read this month. I'll give you a synopsis of each and a rating of 1 out of 5 and a brief sentence or two with my thoughts.
Here we go!



Title: Mommie Dearest
Author: Christina Crawford
Rating: 5 of 5

Synopsis: This is a famous book by Christina Crawford, daughter of movie icon Joan Crawford. It was the first "tell all" book ever published by a celebrity child and tells the tale of Christina's relationship with her mother from her adoption to Joan's death. In the book, Christina tells the tale of being a victim of child abuse during her mother's battle with alcoholism and that she felt her mother was more concerned with being an actress than the mother of four children, suggesting she may have adopted them for publicity. She also mentions Joan's long list of affairs with men.

Thoughts: I loved this book. Christina wrote this as an adult but you can almost hear her voice as a child, than a teenager, into adulthood. Very well written. I would recommend reading this if you're a fan of memoirs, I wouldn't recommend it to a sensitive reader (which I can be sometimes!) because she does describe a lot of abuse.

Title: The Light Between Oceans
Author: M.L. Stedman
Rating: 3.5 of 5

Synopsis: We meet Tom Sherbourne who returns to Australia after 4 years on the western front. He takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, an isolated island that's a half day's journey from the coast and where the supply boat only comes once a season. Tom brings his young and bold wife, Isabel, and after years of two miscarriages and one stillbirth, a boat gets washed up on the island shore carrying a dead man and a living baby. Tom, who has had rigorous military training and keeps meticulous records, wants to report the incident immediately. However, his grieving wife insists the baby is a "gift from God" and they claim the baby as their own. The story unfolds as Tom and Isabel reap the consequences of their choice and battle between right and wrong.

Thoughts: I enjoyed this book, its easy to read and has a good story flow to it. Really well written with a lot of character development and character parallels in the story that are easy to spot. There is a lot about family dynamics, loves, and losses. I would recommend this book for anyone who likes a good amount of twists and turns.

Title: Seven Sunny Days
Author: Chris Manby
Rating: 1 of 5

Synopsis: Rachel Buckley is getting married and her two best friends have organized a "hen week" (bachelorette week for us non-brits) at a sunny resort in Turkey. It should be the perfect send off to single life but each woman is carrying her emotional baggage along with her bikini. Add in unlimited cocktails, friendly strangers, and some sunstroke and the seven days end up putting the firmest friendships to the test.

Thoughts: I HATED this book, I really did. I'd recommend it to ... no one. I'd recommend it to no one. The whole story is sort of pointless. It has some funny parts and a decent ending but the characters aren't that interesting and nothing really happens until the last 20 pages.


Title: The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mysteries)
Author: Carolyn Keene
Rating: 3.5 of 5

Synopsis: Nancy Drew solves her first mystery when the accidental rescue of a little girl who lives with her two great-aunts leads an adventurous search for a missing will!

Thoughts: You should definitely read a Nancy Drew story at some point in your life. They're so great and easy to read (I finished it in like 3 days). I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something easy and fun or to anyone out there who has a little bookworm who likes getting into a series!


That's it for April. I doubt I'll finish a book by the end of the month but I've already started a new one and I'll just include it with the May books. I purchase most of my books at thriftbooks.com . I love telling people about this website because they have SUCH reasonable prices and free shipping on a purchase of $10 or more. I mean, come on that's ridiculous! If you go through books like I do, its definitely a good place to visit.

On Deck for May:

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Stay tuned!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment