Monday, May 9, 2016

Little Amps Coffee Roasters


There's something calming about a good cup of coffee on a Saturday morning. During the week I have to choose between either guzzling down my coffee before rushing out the door for work or trying to drink it at work and reheating it 10 times because I keep getting interrupted with...well...work. Not fun!

When I was in my 20s, I use to look forward to a rum & coke on a Friday night to celebrate the end of the work week. (Sounds amazing but lets face it, I can't do rum anymore) I also use to drink brown sludge and all but walked around with an IV on my arm just in order to function for the day.

Now that I'm in my 30s, I love waking up to a good cup of coffee to start the weekend. It usually feels like a treat after a good night's sleep and a morning run. I'm also more appreciative of a well crafted cup of coffee instead of just aiming to get my fix.

So this past weekend my gracious friend, Christine, came with me to check out Little Amps Coffee in downtown Harrisburg. I've never been before but I had heard good things. It's nestled right on the corner of Green and Muench street and was really easy to find.

I loved the ambiance right away. The brick walls are pretty characteristic of those cute downtown buildings. There's a mismatch of chairs and seating set up inside and outside. I was surprised that at 11:30 a.m. on a Saturday they weren't as busy as I had imagined. However, there was a steady stream of people coming in the door. Going to this place I kind of had a feeling it was going to be on the smaller side (I was right) so I was expecting a line out the door but we were able to find a seat right away and didn't even have to wait in line. This is a good thing.



They had a pretty classic coffee menu like cappuccino, latte, espresso, mocha, etc. But they also stepped into the more artisan coffee like cold brew, pour over, and french press that has been all the rage in the past couple of years.

We wanted to try something fun so we got an "Uptown Ginger Brown" which is a cappuccino with brown sugar, ginger, and orange zest. And of course it had the cappuccino flower design that is always fun to see. I get excited by that every time, it seems.


It was good but boy was it strong! Pace yourself, Christine and I both gave each other a little face after the first sip because the orange zest shocks your taste buds. The sips after that were fine, though. I was wired afterwards and had a hard crash later in the afternoon. But it was a rainy day so what else was I going to do?

Oh! Did I mention that there are vinyls to purchase? There is a stack (I should've taken a picture) of little crates with records to purchase, which was kind of cool, it ties in the little amps theme. 

It was a really great little place to check out. It definitely fits with the revival of Harrisburg with small businesses that has been a big push lately by Mayor Papenfuse. Which I can totally appreciate and will look forward to supporting another day!

Ambiance: A+
Coffee: A

Tips:

  • There are two locations in Harrisburg. One on Green street and one on State street. The one on State street is not open on Saturdays. 
  • Parking is street parking, we didn't have any issue but good luck on a busy day. 
  • I didn't notice any food to purchase. There may have been some small pastries but I think its generally just coffee. (Update: They do have catered baked goods but they sometimes go quickly on the weekends!)


xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Great post I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article. Specialty Coffee

    ReplyDelete