Thursday, May 19, 2016

Book Review "The Invention of Wings"



Title: The Invention of Wings

Author: Sue Monk Kidd
Rating: 15 of 5

Synopsis: The book is inspired by historical figure Sarah Grimke, an abolitionist and one of the first member's of the women's suffrage movement. The story takes place in Charleston on Sarah's 11th birthday when she is given ownership of Handful or "Hetty", a 10 year old slave who is to be her handmaid. Sarah knows at a young age that she is meant to do something bigger in the world but is restricted to the limits imposed on women, especially in the south. And Handful, born as a slave, of course desperately yearns for life beyond the walls of the wealthy Grimke household. We follow their journey throughout the next 35 years as they both strive for a life of their own while dramatically shaping each other's destinies and forming a complex relationship of guilt, defiance, and estrangement.

Thoughts: I've been a huge Sue Monk Kidd fan ever since I read The Secret Life of Bees. My friend Adrienne chose this book for our book club. (It was her turn to pick a book and if you know Adrienne, you wouldn't even be surprised that this book drew her interest.) I had been wanting to read it as well but it went above and beyond my expectations. I loved this book. Love. The chapters of the book are written between Handful and Sarah's experiences in life. They intertwine with each other but are so complex in themselves. Kidd does a great job in introducing us to them as girls and then we follow along with their journey as life begins to get in the way. They have a relationship, but its uneasy of course. Sarah feels guilty about the privilege she was born into and Handful knows she is just part of the Grimke's property. In the beginning of the story Handful's mother tells her a tale about how long ago in Africa people could fly. She she says her shoulder blades are her wings. As the title suggests, both Sarah and Handful develop their wings in their quest for freedom of their lives.

My favorite part of reading this book was learning that Sarah Grimke was a real person. I didn't realize that out front but I know enough about history to recognize some of the names that are used throughout the story. Names of people, places, and events that I know to have happened. I read the Author's Note at the end and she explains her fascination with the Grimke sisters (Sarah's younger sister Angelina is also mentioned in the book) as abolitionists and early campaigners of women's rights. I even found myself Googling the Grimke sisters late one night because I just needed the story to continue. Okay, I know you think I'm crazy but I just got really into the story.

It's just such a compelling book that I had trouble putting down. It's going onto the list of books I tell people about when they ask what they should read. Honestly, I've had trouble getting into the next book I'm reading, simply because this book sucked me in right away and nothing seems to compare to it. I'd recommend this book to anyone who loved The Secret Life of Bees or The Help. They're definitely along the same lines of narrative and amazing literature.

Favorite Quotes:

  • "Ain't nobody can write down in a book what you worth" 
  • "This all what left of your wings. They nothing but these flat bones now, but one day you gon get 'em back"
  • "My body might be a slave but not my mind. For you, its the other way around"
  • "You gotta figure out which end of the needle you're gon be, the one that's fastened to the thread or the end that pierces the cloth"
  • "Don't you remember me for that. Don't you remember I'm a slave and work hard. When you think of me, you say, she never belong to those people. She never belong to nobody but herself."


Oh, by the way, I teared up writing every single one of those quotes. I'm such a NERD.
xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment