Thursday, May 26, 2016

My Favorite 90's and Early 00's Teen Movies

I had the evening to myself the other day and I was just browsing through Netflix, trying to figure out what to watch when I came across one of my favorite movies, Save the Last Dance. And it got me thinking, in the early 2000s and late 1990s, teen movies were everything and I was right there in theater going to see every single one of them. They were the best and I think people my age would agree. So I put together a list of my favorite teen movies, and yes they are in descending order of my favorites.

10. American Pie (1999)


This movie is definitely a classic. It centers around a group of guy friends who bet to lose their cursed virginity by prom night.There isn't really a point in even describing the plot, just watch it. Awesome early 2000s soundtrack and the freaking Sherminator. 

Favorite Quote: It's not a space shuttle launch, it's SEX.

9. Cruel Intentions (1999)


Okay, so I know this movie is weird but it has a freaking great cast. Who would've thought that Reese Witherspoon would be the one we would hear about past teen stardom? This movie is about two odd step siblings Sebastian (Ryan Phillippe) and Kathryn (Sarah Michelle Gellar) who like to make a game out of seeking revenge on people for their own humor. They place a bet that Sebastian can't seduce good girl newcomer Annette (Reese Witherspoon). Spoiler alert: He falls in love with her.

Favorite quote: Eat me Sebastian. Its alright for guys like you and Court to fuck everyone but when I do it, I get dumped to innocent little twits like Cecil. God forbid I exude confidence and enjoy sex. Do you think I relish the fact that I have to be Mary Sunshine 24/7 to be considered a lady? I'm the Marcia Fucking Brady of the upper east side and sometimes, I wanna kill myself.

8. Varsity Blues (1999)


This movie is about high school football in a small town in Texas called West Cannon. The football coach is on God level and the football team experiences their own hero worship around town. This is the first time I saw James Vander Beek as man instead of just Dawson Leery and Paul Walker...LOVE! Another great soundtrack and everyone who grew up in a small town can relate to the hero worship of the football players.

Favorite Quote: Before this game started, Kilmer said "48 minutes for the next 48 years of your life". I say "fuck that". All right? Fuck that. Let's go out there, and we play the next 24 minutes for the next 24 minutes, and we leave it all out on the field. We have the rest of our lives to be mediocre, but we have the opportunity to play like gods for the next half of football.

7. Bring it On (2000)

I mean, when I was a teenager all you would have to tell me is that Kirsten Dunst was in the movie and I'd go see it. But this movie is particularly amazing because its so over the top and tongue in cheek about cheerleading culture. A cheer stick? Jazz hands? A Cheer-ocracy? Sign me up! The new girl in town auditions for the squad and reveals to them that their cheer that is going to win them the competition is a rip off. Whoops.

Favorite Quote (from the announcer at the game): Our next defeat is scheduled for next friday, 8 o'clock

6. Save the Last Dance (2001)


Sigh. Julia Stiles is another one I loved back in the day. Sara (Stiles) moves in from the suburbs to the south side of Chicago with her father after her mom dies in a car crash. She gives up dancing as part of her mourning for her mom but gets back into it after meeting a group of new friends in her predominately black school. She falls in love with Derek (Sean Patrick Thomas) and he encourages her to get back into dance. This movie  has a young Kerry Washington in it which I didn't even make the connection til I recently watched it. Also this has an amazing soundtrack, too. Makes me want to be young again and go out dancin!

Favorite Quote: You can do it. Sara, you were born to do it.

5. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)


Ahh. Another Julia Stiles movie! The Straford sisters, Kat (played by Julia Stiles) and Bianca (Larisa Oleynik...aka Alex Mack) have a strict dad with strict dating rules. Bianca isn't allowed to date unless her older sister, Kat dates. Which is fine by Kat because she's pretty abrasive and doesn't really attract many high school boys. Until she crosses paths with Patrick (Heath Ledger *drool*) who isn't turned off by her. Which leads the girls on a series of paths leading into high school dating life. Not only did this movie introduce me to Julia Stiles but also Heath Leder (RIP) who I harbored a love for up until Dark Knight..and even to this day.

Favorite Quote: I guess in this society, being male and an asshole makes you worthy of our time.

4. Mean Girls (2004)


Does anyone know me? I mean REALLY know me? Yes, I was out of high school by the time this movie was released but its still one of my favorite teen movies! Home schooled jungle freak, Cady (pronounced like Katie) Harrion begins high school for the first time and becomes a member of the plastics, the high school's most popular, most loved, and most hated group. Not only did this movie introduce me to Rachel McAdams who I've loved ever since but I had been a fan of Lindsay Lohan since Parent Trap.

Favorite Quotes: 

  • Is butter a carb?
  • Omg, Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white.
  • She doesn't even go here!
  • The only person who calls my house is Randy from Chase visa.
  • I know she's kind of socially retarded and weird but she's my friend so promise you won't make fun of her.

3. Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)


This movie doesn't get the fanfare that it should. If you love dark comedies, you'll love this movie. Its a mockumentary about a teen pageant in Minnesota and follows the local girls who are in the competition. It has Dennis Richards, Kirstie Alley, Kirsten Dunst, Amy Adams, and plenty of other cameos. It's hilarious and ridiculous all rolled up into one. And I love it! This is a movie that even Nathan will watch with me. 

Favorite Quotes: 
  • Jesus loves winners!
  • Are we on 'Cops' again?
  • Yeah, well, if you gotta take your top off, get the money first. And bring me my smokes!
  • With one week to go before the pageant, I was finishing my outfit, rehearsing my talent, brushing up on current events, and running 18 miles a day on about 400 calories...I was ready!
  • Oh yeah, guys get out of Mount Rose all the time on hockey scholarships...or prison. 

2. Can't Hardly Wait (1998)


Well, this movie should be on everyone's must watch list. We meet a group of high school kids going to a big party on their last day of school. The main story revolves around Preston (Ethan Embry) and his recently single high school crush Amanda (Jennifer Love Hewitt) but there are a host of other funny story lines. This movie also includes Seth Green. Its hysterical. 

Favorite Quote: It means I gots a ninety-two percent chance of embarrassing myself. I roll up on that shorty be like, "What's up yo?" she be like, "You don't know 20 different ways to make me call you Big Poppa" cuz I don't yo.

1. Jawbreaker (1999)

And my favorite teen movie of my time, is Jawbreaker! Another dark comedy that was 'mean girls' before that movie even existed. Its about the popular group in school that pulls a prank on their 'friend' by gagging her with a jawbreaker and intending to take her to breakfast. Only thing is, oops, they ACTUALLY gagged her with a jawbreaker and now she's dead. The movie stars the amazing and beautiful Rose McGowan and the Noxzema girl Rebecca Gayheart. I think this is another movie that I talk about all the time and can quote on demand that not a lot of people know about it. I forge unbreakable bonds with the people who loved this movie like I do. 

Favorite Quotes:
  • I don't think we've met, what with the cruel politics of high school and all.
  • Okay, reality check, Liz is in the trunk of this car and she is dead. And that is a sad, fucked up thing, but you're going to walk into that school and strut your shit down that hallway like everything is peachy fucking keen.
  • Ms. Shane please cover your bosoms, this is a learning institute not a brothel. 
  • If I was friends with every Pam, Beth, and Sally just to be nice I'd have Noah's fucking arc in my phone book.


And that's it! Those are my faves, these are the movies that I love now just as much as I did when I first saw them.  Any I missed?
xoxox


1 comment: