Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Real vs. Fake on Southern Charm


I've loved this show since season one. I was a fan of Cameran (Cammi!) from Real World San Diego and just about fell out of my chair when I heard that the grown up Cammi would be on another reality show. So I checked it out and became hooked with not only the drama but the characters. They were funny, real, young (ish), carefree, and authentic. They were just livin' their lives and I was excited to get a glimpse of it. Even Landon was a refreshing addition into season two. My initial reaction of her was she was adorable. I was a fan, fo' life.

Cut to season three, five episodes in and I'm beginning to lose my fandom of this show. To me, the same old drama between TRav and Kathryn Calhoun Dennis is just really getting stale. Now I can almost see the Bravo puppet strings pulling them around in the different scenes and its just exhausting. Maybe I've watched too many Bravo shows to know when things seem formula-ize but then I'm reading on Twitter that the cast has a made a pact to not film with Kathryn Calhoun Dennis my first thought is "get over yourselves". You're turning into Housewives.

However, Monday night's episode had the potential to pull me back in. There were some real moments trickled in with a lot of funny and fake moments, as well. So here are my thoughts.

Real Moments:

  • Cameran falling over while doing yoga in the opening scene which is basically me trying to do life. 
  • If you read my blog regularly or follow my twitter its easy to conclude that I love Danni. And I was so excited that we saw more of her this episode. We found out through JD and Craig's conversation about his Gentry Bourbon that she has been in the liquor business for years and really knows her stuff when it comes to wine and spirits. She helps out at the bourbon tasting and JD asks her to be his VP in the Gentry Bourbon division. And true to form, instead of jumping at the job, she encourages JD to speak with Craig who has his hopes set on pretty much that exact same position. Between that and her conversation with Kathryn on last week's episode about not shutting people out, I can conclude that Danni is true blue and has her friend's backs. I noticed a lot of people on Twitter last night who are #TeamDanni as well so maybe we can all make some noise and get her on as a regular cast member!
  • Kathryn Calhoun Dennis reaching out to Elizabeth. Last week, Danni encouraged KCD to reach out to people individually, remove herself from the TRav drama, and build a friendship as herself and not TRav's baby mama. After she was shot down by Cameran (sidenote: I don't think Cameran owes Kathryn anything) she decided to reach out to Elizabeth who is the godmother of her daughter Kensie. I loved this conversation and I honestly have to say that I teared up a bit listening to these two women be honest about their feelings. It was so nice to see them reconcile their friendship because I get the feeling that it's really genuine. It was kind of refreshing to see Kathryn let her guard down like that.
  • Shep giving brotherly advice to Craig when he was SO bummed about his position with Gentry Bourbon. It seems like Craig tends to get overly excited about things and really wanted to feel included in the bourbon tasting. When it was clear that he wasn't an asset, he got really embarrassed. Typically, we've seen Shep take that opportunity to tease him and be really hard on him but this time he actually pulled him aside and gave him some advice on how to speak with JD about being involved. Craig always says they fight like brothers, well it looks like they may truly have a big brother/little brother relationship...or relationSHEP.
  • Landon in her investment meeting. Landon, Landon, Landon. She's my girl, I seriously always loved her. I feel horrible that she's getting such flack on Twitter about this season. I really don't think she's as fake or disingenuous as people are making her out to be. That's why I have to put her choking at her investment meeting as a real moment. I mean, I get it. I could be perfectly prepared on something and totally become and babbling buffoon once I'm actually suppose to sit down and discuss something. Now, I think she needs to narrow in on what she actually wants to do but that's a different story.
  • Whitney and Cameran not wanting to go hiking in the Appalachian mountains with Shep and the crew. I truly believe these two have never camped, hiked, or roughed it in their lives.
  • TRav's bachelor refrigerator with no food in it.
  • The opening scene where Craig gives Naomi the ring. Its a cute scene, I can tell they really love each other. 
  • JD's Gentry Bourbon business. Its legit! I want Gentry Bourbon in Lancaster, PA!

Fake Moments:

  • Pretty much any scene with TRav in it can just be edited out, in my opinion. And I hear he has quit the show? It could be a rumor because we have heard this once before but good riddance, if its true! When Shep stopped by his place and TRav said that he wanted to encourage Shep to keep Kathryn Calhoun Dennis invited to events and included with the group because it "keeps her blood pressure down and make her happy" so that the baby is healthy, its like shut up. You've made zilch effort in trying to ease her stress so don't make it someone else's job. He's been running around these past couple of episodes trying to make sure everyone keeps KCD included when we've seen them in like two scenes together. 
  • Whitney and Cameran saying that they won't go on Shep's vacation if Kathryn Calhoun Dennis is invited. Seriously? Get over yourselves. I had to put this under fake moments because I really don't think they're being real, I think they said that for the show. We've all been there when you're friends with someone but you can't stand their other friend so you just get drunk and pretend they're not there. It's called life..well, this is reality show life...
  • Naomi waking up with perfect makeup in the opening scene. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of hers but that was a fake moment...harmless...but fake. 
All in all, a great episode! There were more real moments this episode than the whole season so far, and I loved it. I don't know if I'm speaking for just myself or anyone else but I really just want to watch them be themselves, without the drawn out drama, and see what happens. There's something to be said about that fact that I'm paying more attention to the "friend" characters like Danni, JD, Elizabeth, Cooper, and Naomi than the main cast members.

Although I did like seeing Kathryn be real and let her guard down with Elizabeth. And Shep is always hilarious. I'm losing a little of Whitney this season, though, have you noticed him not being around much? I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last season just cause he's bored of it or something. 

Til next time!
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. The bourbon is fake - how can it be aged longer than the company has existed? They are just buying it from somewhere else and bottling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the whole show is just a put on... All reality T.V pretty much is!!! "I'm not saying" that there may not be a show or two out there; that isn't real. But just about any reality T.V. cast all has cast that has previously been on another show of some kind. To me! That doesn't define reality. Reality is raw, and nothing planned about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to quit watching this after tonight's episode....so fake. Now they are all fawning over Katherine as if she's the queen....smh. For so many episodes everyone hated her...now she is all of the women's BFF. Blech. She hasn't changed... well maybe she doesn't take as many drugs...who knows.

    ReplyDelete